Monday, October 23, 2006

November Bump For Republicans?

I'm not sure whether it will have a measurable impact. but a verdict is expected to be rendered soon in Saddam's current trial (for killing 148 Shi'ite villagers in the 1980s). It would be the first time anything in that circus came off on time and I'm sure the timing is mere happenstance, but it would give a (lame) rallying cry for the otherwise desperate Republicans.

Hey, that reminds me, what exactly was the basis for removing the previous judge in Saddam's trial. My recollection was that he contradicted a witness that claimed Saddam was a dictator and said, no, Saddam was elected (technically, true and probably as competitive as any election held for mayor in the city of Chicago during the 60's and early 70's).

Saddam earnestly thanked him. Shockingly, the judge was removed from the case the next week, although the basis for the removal was a bit fuzzy - funny how that works. What is frankly more amazing is that the judge was allowed to preside in the first place as he was initially named to the bench by Saddam himself. Ain't this Iraq stuff a hoot.

1 comment:

GLOBBal warming said...

I was very surprised that I made it on there on my very first post. I have another interesting post for all of us cursed cubs fans