Saturday, November 04, 2006

Full Speed Ahead

Tomorrow George Stephanopolis will air his interview will VP Cheney. In the promos to that interview a quote of the VP has been highlighted. The VP says that the administration will continue “full speed ahead” in Iraq, no matter what voters say. “We’re not running for office.” “We’re doing what we think is right.”

You know what? I think, I think he's right. Not that I agree with either his methodology nor his manner, but it is up to a feckless congress to step up to the plate. The arrogance of the administration is galling. Not only do they earnestly believe that the democrats are not smart enough to comprehend the threat from terrorism - they don't think the American people get are either.

Suspend reality for a moment and accept that canard. After six years of trumpeting a singular message, who is to blame for this lack of understanding, those elected to lead and they have failed. Americans understand what constitutes sound judgment, responsibility and accountability Those traits sorely lacking within the Bush administration. How many times can you ask people to "trust me." Trust is earned. I was told, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Leadership is all about trust, competence, judgment and gravitas. It is not about telling people what to do. Irrespective of the midterm results, let's hope that congress has received the message that the status quo is not acceptable. That, as I teach my children, mistakes have consequences. Moreover, without a vigorous and engaged legislature our republic is a shell.

No comments: