Sunday, January 07, 2007

I Love Tech

I love gadgets and I love when technology works for me. That said, I consistently feel overwhelmed. I never know whether to feel as though I'm hopelessly deficient, fairly effective or just right (like the baby bear's bed) when it comes to technological competence.

On the positive side, I was an early adopter of both TiVo and HDTV, but my system still confounds me. For instance, I got a PS 3, but haven't hooked it up so that it plays through the sound system nor the high def. Sure,I've got excuses - the components aren't easily accessible and the fact the TV only allows for 2 HD inputs. In order to deal with that problem I bought an external HD switcher box, but my one, brief failed attempt to get that work last week left me feeling inadequate. Moreover, while I got the PS 3 to update via its wireless modem, I've yet to access the online play network. On the positive side, I just got a HD Directv DVR (in addition to my existing 2nd series TiVo) an its working famously.

As far as computer, as I implied above I installed a wireless router that's working fine, although I had to seek outside assistance to secure it. I realize that I needed to upgrade the RAM on my desktop, but despite reading how easy it was to install, I wimped out and hired someone else to do it. While I set up Tivo Desktop without much difficulty and have utilized it successfully for some time, I've had a SlingBox sitting in my office - unattached for at least 9 weeks - UGH! I know I need an external storage unit, but why buy it if I'm not going to be able to seemlessly move my gig heavy multimedia files to it and seemlessly access those files when I want to access them.

I've been blogging for a while, but no one except my extremely gifted and discriminating sister reads it. I've tried to upgrade the blog to encourage better distribution with no success. I think I set up a FTP for the site, but it doesn't work ( or better said I don't know how to use it) so I'm despite having a Technorati account my blog doesn't get updated through the site. I quickly moved my blog to the new Blogger but lost AdSense in the transition - how? I have no idea.

The families Ipods work fine, but I can't seem to change out the playlist on my cool I Audio MP3 player. I was able to for a while, but now I'm still listing to 50 cent first album and the BeeGees greatest hits.

The problem as I see it is that I read too fucking much. I know (mostly) what is possible, but implementation isoften beyond my abilities.

No comments: