Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Yikes!! James "Lies" Frey Live on Oprah 1/26/06

Will Oprah be tough or will she pull a Larry King. Unfortunately, I think Oprah's going to take a dive on this one. I think Frey will be well-prepped to answer questions that appear on the surface to be tough. I hope I'm wrong.

While I like to think I'm an even-handed, open-minded person, I think Frey is a fraud and I'd be shocked if he (and Oprah) can change my mind. His account strains credulity in virtually every chapter, yet I wanted to believe it. Even if the book was written without any creative license, I found it troubling. Show me an addict\alcoholic that successfully recovers by buying a bottle of fortified wine (which he then carries around with for a number of months) or stops at a bar and orders a $20 glass of whiskey (that he eyes, sniffs and admires) all on their first day of freedom (the first after discharge from rehab and the second after being released from jail).

Come On!! We are beng asked to buy this horseshit after all the puffery (I'm being kind) that has been exposed regarding his legal problems. I have the privilege of knowing a number of people that have gotten sober and stayed sober for decades. Ask any one of them how hard they had to work to remain sober, yet we are supposed to accept that Mr. Frey was so impervious to temptation that he spent nght after night in bars. Possible, yes. Probable, no.

No comments: