Thursday, January 26, 2006

Frey Comes Clean, Sort of . . .

I watched Oprah's show with great interest. I've read both of Mr. Frey's books and followed his story before and subsequent to The Smoking Gun's account.

Quick thoughts:

Oprah scores for effectively admitting being duped,

Oprah gets too much credit for coming clean (with the benefit of hindsight to have done otherwise would have been foolhardy and indefensiveable),

"Non" Nan Talese (the publisher), appeared like a poorly prepared apologist, in the end she accepted no responsibility, although I guessing she's still cashing the checks from the brisk sales of A Million Little Pieces and its follow-up My Friend Leonard (note the sequel starts during Mr. Frey's make-believe 87 day jail term),

Mr. Frey deserves some points for subjecting himself to a public credibility castration, although he seemed to remain intent on dribbling out truth pellets (my guess is that additional "clarificatons" will continue to come out in the near term),


So will Mr. Frey enjoy the great American redemption we afford to those that we publically flog (i.e. Martha, Richard Nixon Pat O'Brien et. al.). I'm not sure, he's all that compelling a character, but there's always reality tv.

That said, I don't think he'll ever hurt for a paycheck (given his recent book sales I don't think he's got any problems in the near term). My real question is whether he's going to go out and drink or use. I certainly don't wish it upon him nor anyone else for that matter, but he's certainly at risk right now. His "My Way" self-prescribed recovery plan, is a risky propostion in the best of circumstances and these, these ain't the best of circumstances.

No comments: