Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Palin's Interview with Greta

I was a bit dismissive of the Africa country or continent kerfuffle, but watching the interview gave me pause.  She seems to know something about Darfur, but her explanation (if I generously call it that) was incomprehensible.  Based on her rapid fire, nonsensical rambling, I think her understanding of Africa is no more than puddle deep.  She admits going "off script," read off message, this strikes me as evidence of her selfishness and conceit.  Does she honestly believe that she knows better.  That shocks me as much as anything, no humility whatsoever, is this a positive quality?

Her inability to speak coherently is startling.  I do not believe expecting a vice presidential candidate to speak proper English is elitist.  She absolutely tortures the language.  'Also,' 'they too' and 'there too' are ostensibly used as punctuation.  To understand her responses certainly requires a Tivo and the generous use of the replay button.  She changes tenses within sentences, uses multiple prepositional phrases to pollute sentences and constantly uses 'had' where 'has' is appropriate.  It drives me to distraction.  The speed rambling she uses when she's uncomfortable with a question or issue is another consistent feature.

I find the support for her among the party leaders to be representative of the worst form patronization.  She is an intriguing figure, but honestly, she's a dolt, a highly ambitious, somewhat arrogant dolt.  

No comments: